Saturday, August 15, 2009

Angel Among Us

Chloe/child angst
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: These characters belong to the CW and DC Comics, not to me.
Manip by writrgurl, used with the permission of the artist. Story prompted by writrgurl's manip.

Once upon a time, Metropolis had its very own angel, named Superman.

That was Daddy, right, Mommy?

Right, sweetheart. That was Daddy. Anyway, Superman flew over the city, protecting everyone. He was Metropolis' guardian angel. Whenever anyone needed help, whenever anyone called out in pain or fear... Superman was there.

Because he had stuporspeed!

Superspeed, honey. And just like an angel, he could fly.

Only he didn't have wings!

No, he didn't have wings. He had a long red cape that rippled behind him. Whenever you were in trouble, you knew you could look up into the sky and see a red and blue streak, coming your way.

But now he's gone.

Yes, sweetheart. He died a couple of years ago, saving us all. I don't suppose you remember him very well...

I remember he had dark hair and glasses, Mommy. I don't remember the cape.

That's because Superman was his secret identity. You weren't supposed to know about it.

You never would have told me if I hadn't found the suit, huh?

No, I wouldn't have. It's a secret, honey. You can't tell anyone. Not even your bestest, bestest friend. Okay?

Okay, Mommy. But what happened to Metropolis when Superman died?

You live here, sweetheart. What do you think happened?

I guess maybe people started to get hurt again.

Well, you might think that. But the truth is that when Superman--your daddy-- died, people rallied together--

What does rallied mean?

I mean, people started trying harder to help each other. Because they remembered Superman, and everything he did for the city, and they wanted to keep the city safe, just like he did. Everyone has worked very, very hard to keep Metropolis safe. So even though Daddy is gone, the city still has the lowest crime rate in the country.

All because they remember Daddy?

All because they remember Daddy.

I guess maybe Daddy is a real angel now, and he still helps people. Only now he's got wings instead of a cape!

I think you're right, sweetheart. I really do. Anyway, that's the end of the story. Sweet dreams, darling.

Night, Mommy. Can I have the red blanket? It looks like Daddy's cape.

So it does. Are you going to imagine you're helping keep Metropolis safe?

Yes, Mommy.

That's nice. But just remember, you don't need a red cape to help protect the city. You don't even need wings. You just need to care about people.

Just like Daddy did.

Yes, sweetheart. Just like Daddy did.

-The End-

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this was so sad and poinent. lovely.

Toby & Callie said...

Sweet! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Aww I love the little person asking questions

Anonymous said...

Aw, had this been any longer, I would be crying so much right now!
Beautifully written, as always :D
~N~

Anonymous said...

Aw, I almost have tears in my eyes. Such a sweet story, bittersweet I guess I should say. Love the idea! Great work, as always!

writrgurl said...

Aw, that choked me up! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

I call it newborn hormones and I'm sticking with that. No my nose is not running and yes, I can still see. No my glasses haven't streaked and fogged up. Beautiful, angsty and bittersweet. At least there was Chlark love and baby. :D

AV said...

Adorable. That is all.