Thursday, May 04, 2006

What the World Could Be, Chapter 8

Chloe/Clark
Season 5, following my story "Saving Me," which followed "Void"
Rating: Adult. If you are under eighteen, please go elsewhere now.
Disclaimer: These characters belong to the WB and DC Comics, not to me.

Chloe couldn’t believe she’d been awake for an hour without a cup of coffee. Such a thing was totally unprecedented. She nuked herself a cup of instant coffee using the small microwave in the room, then rummaged around till she found a box of pastries. She flopped down in her desk chair and ate one. Clark perched on the corner of her desk and devoured five. She blinked at him.

“Geez. That must have really been a workout.”

“I’m starved,” he answered, polishing off the last bite and looking hopefully into the box for more. Unfortunately, it was empty. “I haven’t been eating really well the last week.”

“Clark…” The reminder that he hadn't been sleeping or eating because of some weird Kryptonian biological need worried her. She sighed, staring into the murky depths of her coffee. “Exactly what's going to happen if we, uh, consummate our relationship?”

He looked at her a moment, his head tilted on one side, then suddenly flashed his bright grin.

“Didn’t you ever take sex ed, Chloe?”

“That is not what I meant, and you know it,” she said, whacking his shoulder. “I mean, is sex with me going to have some sort of bizarre effect on you? Is it going to make you think you’re bonded with me or something?”

“No. I told you, we can’t be bonded if you don’t say the words back to me. And since you don’t speak Kryptonian, I don’t think that’s likely to happen any time soon.”

“But you keep trying to bond with me,” she said. "You couldn't sleep. You couldn't eat. Is sex going to make it better, or worse?"

"I don't know, Chloe. I'm not really sure what's going to happen. All I know is, I can't keep my hands off of you."

"All of a sudden you want me," she said. All her insecurities suddenly rose to the surface, and she spoke with more bitterness than she had intended. “And it’s all because of the red K. You never looked at me twice before this last week.”

“Chlo, that is totally untrue, and you know it. Remember that night in my loft? Right after I broke up with Lana?”

She nodded, staring into her coffee to avoid his gaze.

“You practically had to beat me off with a stick.”

She couldn’t stop the laugh that bubbled up. “I wouldn’t say that, exactly.”

“Still. I was definitely looking at you, Chloe. In fact, I was doing quite a bit more than looking, as I recall.”

“But that was because you were upset. You’d just broken up with Lana.”

He rolled his eyes. “Every time I kiss you, you can always come up with some reason it doesn’t count, don’t you? Your self-esteem is really a mess.”

Her head snapped up, and she glared at him. “It most certainly is not.”

“Seems like it to me, Chloe. You keep acting like I couldn’t possibly be interested in you. Like you aren't a brilliant, funny, gorgeous woman that any guy would want.”

His words made a little flame glow in her chest, but she tried to ignore it. “I’ve been trying to get you to look at me since eighth grade, and you never have. How do you expect me to act?”

“See, that’s not true, either. I asked you out when we were freshmen, Chloe. I took you to that dance, remember? And the very next day you dumped me.”

Chloe sipped her coffee morosely, unable to come up with a reasonable reply to that. She couldn't explain the complex mix of emotions and insecurity that had made her behave that way. In fact, she didn’t understand it herself. Who could really understand the mind of a fifteen-year-old girl, anyway? In retrospect, quite a few of her actions in high school seemed immature at best, and downright stupid at worst.

“Okay,” she said at last. “Fine. So maybe there've been miscommunications on both sides. What do we do now?”

“We quit miscommunicating. We start acting like sensible people. We talk about problems instead of ignoring them. And…” He shot her his goofy, heartstopping grin. “We have sex.”

“I thought you were worn out?”

“I think I just needed a few thousand calories. I’m feeling much more alive now.”

“Okay,” she said, draining the rest of her coffee. All of a sudden she remembered that she hadn't gotten a lot out of their last encounter, and there were definitely some parts of her that were still aching for attention. “I’m all fueled up and ready to go.”

She put her mug down on her desk and came to her feet. He stood up as well, only inches away from her, and his smile faded a bit.

“Look, Chloe,” he said, more seriously, “I’m going to be as careful as I can. But I can really injure you if I’m not careful enough. If I hurt you, even a little bit, you have to tell me right away. Okay?”

She nodded. “And if you feel like you’re losing control, you tell me, Clark. We’ll work something out.”

He swallowed and looked down at her. “This is still kind of on the dangerous side, Chloe.”

“It’ll be okay,” she whispered, and slid her arms around his neck. Now that he wasn't quite so worked up, she had no doubt that he could control himself. She trusted him not to hurt her.

He hesitated for a moment, then lowered his head and let his lips brush hers. He was still wearing nothing but boxers, and his skin was warm, his body solid and powerful. He smelled like sex and sweat, and she inhaled deeply, breathing in his scent. Unable to stop her hands from wandering, she let them travel a bit, across the smooth curves of his broad shoulders. He moaned against her mouth, and his hands slid down to her hips, pulling her closer.

Suddenly very eager for more, she tried to shove him toward the bed, but he lifted his head and looked down at her, refusing to move. Trying to push him felt pretty much like trying to move a brick wall, and she blinked up at him, puzzled by his reluctance to move.

“Are you trying to run things again?” he asked, a small smile curving his lips.

“It seemed to work okay last time,” she answered.

“Yeah, but you can’t always be the one to run things, Chlo.” He swung her up in his arms suddenly, then supersped over to the bed and dropped her onto the mattress so fast her head spun.

He loomed over her, and his smile got positively evil.

“This time,” he said softly, “I’m in charge.”

Read Chapter 9 here.

No comments: